You have probably heard that it is important to have a will in place before you pass away. That way, you specify exactly what you want to be done with your assets and you make sure that the right people receive their designated inheritance.

You have probably also heard that there are multiple types of wills, and you might be curious about the difference between a will and a living will. 

What Is a Living Will?

A living will is frequently referred to as an advanced directive. This is a legal document that will provide instructions for medical care if you have an end-stage medical condition.  When you go to the doctor, the doctor will ask you what you want your medical care to be, and the doctor will follow your instructions. But what happens if you are incapacitated and no longer able to make decisions for yourself? The doctor will take a look at your advanced directive and speak to the agent you have appointed to make healthcare decisions for you. 

In your living will, you will specify which (if any) life-prolonging treatments you would want if you were at the end of your life and unable to communicate, including whether you want a breathing tube or feeding tube included as a part of your medical care. 

What Is a Will?

When someone is referring to a will, they are usually referring to a last will and testament. This is a document that will specify what you want to be done with your assets when you pass away. For example, you may want to specify a guardian for any minor children that you still have in your care, and you will want to appoint an executor to carry out your wishes as to how your estate assets are distributed. 

You will also want to specify who you want to receive certain types of property.  You need to make sure you have a will in place because you want to minimize the chances of litigation about the distribution of your assets.

If you do not have a will in place, you will probably be considered “intestate,” and the state’s intestate statute will decide how your assets are divided. 

Count on Yorkway Law Group To Help You Draft a Will

Regardless of whether you want to draft a living will or a general will, you need to rely on a wills lawyer in Bucks County, PA to represent you. Our attorneys can make sure that you have an estate plan in place. Give us a call today to schedule a consultation, and let us make sure your wishes are respected and that your assets are protected.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *